Wednesday, December 21, 2005

My weekend...

It's funny how you indirectly place a challenge in front of God, not really expecting it to happen and then out of nowhere He blows your hair back. Last Thursday I told Lauren if she could find a decently priced plane ticket she could sell our old red truck, given to us by two wonderful friends Danny & Meaghan, and use that money to purchase a ticket and fly up to Ohio for the weekend. Unfortunately, there was not a single flight open. I knew that ultimately Lauren would be understanding if she couldn't attend the funeral, but I also knew how important it was for her to be up there not only for herself but also for her family.

So Thursday night I told her that if she could sell the truck for $500 (there was already an old man wanting to buy it) I would be willing to rent a car and take time off work to make the whirlwind trip to Ohio. I was completely sincere in my offer, I just didn't have any hope that this guy would actually pay what we wanted. There I was telling God if this is what we are supposed to do then let this guy purchase the truck for this specific amount. I didn't present this challenge in a defiant manner but more of a confirmation/fleece thing. Wouldn't you know it on Friday the guy interested in the truck came over and I explained to him the situation and said I couldn't take less than $500 and he just said, "I'll be back in 30 minutes with your cash." I just stood there dumbfounded and just thought to myself "Shit! I have to drive to Ohio now." Once again my reaction wasn't because I was unhappy to make the drive but more that I just hadn't prepared myself for this possibility.

The whirlwind trip began at 5:30pm Friday and came to a close at about 5:00am Tuesday morning. The driving took a lot out of me but thankfully Lauren let me sleep most of the day yesterday so I was able to recoup. The service was nice and not as emotionally taxing as it could've been and it was good see family again.

Came back with some cool stuff...nice gifts from Megan and Derek and the new Garth Brooks box set from Lauren's parents. More to come on the box set later.

Praise to the Almighty for a safe and meaningful trip and for just surprising the crap out of me.

No comments: