Monday, December 04, 2006

The genuis of Aaron Sorkin

I fell in love with the writing of Aaron Sorkin through the television series The West Wing. I own the first four seasons of the W.W., and regardless of how many times I watch those episodes they inspire me, fill me with hope, make me laugh, cry and scream. I recently decided to rewatch the fifth season, which was the first season without Sorkin and Thomas Schlamme, and I couldn't believe how bad everything was. The writing and storylines were crap and I just kept feeling sorry for the actors who really must've been suffering from not having Sorkin around.

Despite the downward turn of the series I continued to watch until it went off the air because I felt a weird connection with the characters of the series. During the final season of the W.W. I heard about a new series Sorkin and Schlamme were working on called Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. It was with great anticipation that I awaited this new series, hoping that many things I loved about the W.W. would show up in this new show.

Studio 60 is now into it's 10th or 11th episode of the first season and it's everything I hoped it would be. The acting and writing is top notch. Sorkin masterfully pokes fun of both conservatives and liberals, is not shy about calling out the stupidity of the religious right while maintaining a high degree of respect for those who are sincere about their faith. As a Christ follower I've never found myself offended but rather challenged to think more about my faith.

Art is a reflection of the Divine and when I get the opportunity to experience something that is truly great it points me to my Father and I'm grateful that there are artists who still strive to create something original.

Thank you Mr. Sorkin.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I couldn't agree more. I have misse the quickness of the WW and am glad to see if return. And kudos to the cast too. I don't even see Chandler any more. He has taken over the new role.

Kirby

J. H. said...

Let me just say, I'm in awe of Matthew Perry. Ever since his cameo apperances on the W.W. my eyes have been open to his talent. I never even like D.L. Hughley before but in this show he's really good.